Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pain & Gain


Dustin: 3.5/5 stars Nick: 2.5/5 stars Average: 3/5 stars (Woozy canary)

Dustin: Pain & Gain is a true crime action/comedy directed by Michael Bay, and starring Marky Mark and the Rock. What did you think of Pain & Gain, Nicky Nick?

Nick: Well, Dusty Dustin, I thought it had a lot of energy with its erratic camerawork, but that and the constant tonal shifts made P&G a hard film to sit through.

Dustin: I didn’t find the tonal shifts too jarring. But I did have a problem with the overall tone. This was a “true” story about a trio of bodybuilders in search of the “American Dream.” They start a scam and end up gruesomely killing their victims when their plans go awry. I wasn’t sure playing it for laughs was entirely appropriate. By the way, I prefer to go by my wrestling name, the Stone. But to be honest, next to the Rock, the Pebble would probably be a more appropriate stage name.

Nick: By tonal shifts, I meant most scenes felt uncomfortable for the actors and myself as none of us knew whether to laugh or cringe.

Dustin: Did you think this was a problem with the dialogue? I thought it was often quite clever. These criminals were borderline brain dead, which is what made me laugh so much. I think it would be hard to write these characters without coming off as comical.

Nick: I loved the dialogue. It made a character quite dumb, but not to the point Rob Downey, Jr., would say “full retard.”

Dustin: When Marky Mark’s character named Michael Corleone and Scarface as American heroes because they came from nothing and achieved the American dream, it wasn’t only funny, but effectively gave relevant insight into the mind of the character.

The movie had some good visual gags too. You see Marky Mark drive up in a nice car, wearing a collared shirt and a tie, then you see him get out of the car and he’s wearing jeans. Then as he walks away from the camera, you see they’re jean shorts, and you remember this was set in the ‘90s. There were many nice moments like that.

Nick: I personally didn’t like those moments because one imagines the writers smirking when writing things like that. To bring up visual gags, like when the text pops up, “This is still a true story... seriously,” that moment was completely inaccurate, and so was a lot of the film as I found out after I had seen it.

Dustin: To think you can’t trust Michael Bay after he brought us Pearl Harbor.

The movie had some subtler visual gags too. Like after Marky Mark and the Rock kidnapped the owner of a Schlotzsky’s Deli, then later let him take a sip from one of their Schlotzsky’s cups. I enjoyed the thought of them going back to the restaurant for lunch even after they kidnapped the owner, which showed how hapless they were as criminals and developed character a little more.

Nick: Or how Lugo (Marky Mark) decides it’s a good idea to then manage the Schlotzsky’s and to then move into the man’s house. Seems like an easy way to get caught if that person was still alive and very, very loud.

Dustin: That part probably could have been left on the cutting room floor without taking much from the story. Which leads me to the film’s length. I think we both thought the movie was about 20 minutes too long, even though the movie moved at a fast clip. What could have been cut without detracting from the story?

Nick: I thought that the film was 50 minutes too long in what it chose to show. But then after taking out that 50 minutes, I would then add another 20 minutes of just a little more character development of our main character instead of switching the narrative around between five or six. I certainly didn’t need to know Ed Harris’s inner dialogue.

Dustin: Or the European stripper’s. The movie also waited too long to establish the multi-character point-of-view. It was a bit odd to hear Ed Harris’s inner thoughts for the first time about 90 minutes in. They should have started with the multi-character POV from the start, or, better yet, just stick to Marky Mark.

Nick: I would have liked to just have the viewpoint of the three main characters, mostly focusing on Daniel Lugo, and with him being the only one with an inner dialogue.

Dustin: This movie was like the poor man’s In Cold Blood. Both are based on true stories. Both focused on criminals lacking a number of brain cells who target victims for their money. I realize I might be flagging myself as an idiot to some film lovers, but in some ways, I liked P&G better than In Cold Blood. Respond.

Nick: Well, I feel you’re justified in that you’re comparing the plot lines and how they are both based on true stories. P&G is certainly more entertaining, but in my opinion not as well worked as In Cold Blood. The movies I would compare P&G to from a cinematic standpoint is Run Lola Run and Bay’s The Rock.

Dustin: I agree In Cold Blood is better from a cinematic viewpoint, such as the famous scene where Robert Blake gazes out the window and the shadows from the rain splattering on the window make it look like he’s crying. That was a much subtler and effective visual than a drop of blood dripping in slow motion from a chainsaw, bouncing off a counter top and splattering on a cashier’s Home Depot apron in P&G. But In Cold Blood was also too preachy by asking us to sympathize with the criminals and making them out to be “victims of the death penalty.” I personally think the criminals were born manipulators and Truman Capote played right into their hands. Pain & Gain didn’t have any of that preachiness and was thoroughly entertaining. I don’t always mind “checking my brain at the door.”

Nick: Sorry to slightly disagree with your viewpoint on P&G. I felt some scenes were supposed to make you feel for the criminals. The murders were all depicted purely as accidents, with the exception of the attempted murder of Tony Shalhoub’s character (who was portrayed as an asshole who had it coming). In real life, the killings were not seen that way, but were glorified in the film so as to not make one completely hate the characters.

Dustin: I think that goes back to both of our feeling that playing this true story for laughs wasn’t totally appropriate or respectful to the victims. Maybe they should have changed all the characters’ names and just acted like it was an original story. If anyone pointed out the resemblance to the actual events, the writers could have said they were inspired by some real events.

Nick: Actually, all the names besides Lugo's, Doorbal's and Doyle's were changed, I believe.  

Dustin: I think we both had trouble with the camerawork.

Nick: Bay is just too excited when he has a camera in his hands. It’s always moving! The camera always felt to be moving ever so slightly, whether it was up or left, always, always moving! When that happens in a film I feel it’s as if the director doesn’t trust in the script enough so he makes up for it by doing more things with the “extension of his penis.”

Dustin: You’re right. I’ve never been a fan of the “shaky cam.” There is rarely an artistic reason for the shaky cam. The shots were also very short. Probably two seconds on average. All this movement gave me a mild migraine, which was my main complaint about the film and would prevent me from seeing it a second time. If I had to describe the visual style, I would call it “loud.” Would you recommend this film?

Nick: I’m on the fence. Yes, in terms of how entertaining it can be at moments, but the constant shift of focus, and the text put on screen throughout the movie about how this is still a true story (even though the actual events were very different) make me despise P&G in a way. Though I honestly have told everyone to see it just because I think it’s one of Bay’s best. Dwayne Johnson did a great job with the role and I thought Anthony Mackie’s character should have been more developed because he is a superb actor.

Dustin: I would recommend Pain & Gain solely on its comedic value, even if the tone made me uncomfortable.

Nick: So today we learned to avoid weight lifting as it will ultimately lead to stupidity, hookers, drugs and slaughtering people who don’t support Marky Mark’s “American Dream.

Dustin: Word to your mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment